Launch of EU Settlement Scheme

EU Settlement Scheme

The long-awaited EU Settlement Scheme has now arrived! If you are Swiss or from the EU or EEA and would like to live and work in the UK after June 2021, then you will need to apply.

Here we’ll look at the main points of the Scheme, but there are some details we won’t cover. For more specific information you can find out more at the website.

For now, let’s see what this means for you.

Map of the world

Who is the Settlement Scheme for?

In most cases you can apply if you are from:

  • The EU.
  • The EEA (including Liechtenstein and Norway).
  • Switzerland.

Can anyone else apply?

You can apply if you are:

  • A relative of a Swiss, EU or EEA family member living in the UK.
  • A family member of a British citizen and you lived together in an EEA country together.
  • Family member of a British citizen who also has EU, EEA or Swiss citizenship.
  • The primary carer of a British, EU, EEA or Swiss citizen.
  • A child of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen who used or live and work in the UK, or you are the child’s primary carer.

Who doesn’t need to apply?

You don’t need to apply for Settled or pre-Settled status if:

  • You already have indefinite leave to enter the UK, indefinite leave to remain in the UK or if you have already obtained British or Irish citizenship.
  • If you are from the EU, EEA or Switzerland and moved to the UK before it joined the EU.
  • If you work in the UK but do not live here. This is called being a ‘frontier worker’ and you can see the government guidance for this here.

What is Settled Status?

Settled Status means that you started living in the UK by 31 December 2020 (or 12 April 2019 if the UK leaves the EU with no deal). You will also have lived in the UK for a continuous 5 year period. (There are some exceptions to this, which you can see here).

What is Pre-settled Status?

Pre-settled status means that you haven’t been living continuously in the UK for five years before you apply. To get pre settled-status you must have started living in the UK by 31 December 2020 (or by 12 April if the UK leaves the EU without at deal).

UK passport

What do I need to apply?

To apply you will need:

  • Proof of identity (a valid passport or a biometric residence card or permit).
  • Proof of continuous residence (national insurance number, or in some cases other documents such as a bank statement, an employers letter, a council tax bill etc.)

When is the application deadline?

You will need to apply before 30 June 2021 or 31 December 2020 (if the UK leaves the EU without a deal).

Direction sign

Can I get help with my application?

Yes! You can call this number if you’re inside the UK Monday to Friday (apart from bank holidays), 8.00 am to 8.00 pm, Saturday and Sunday, 9.30 am to 4.30 pm. There may be telephone charges, and you can find out about those here.

Telephone: 0300 123 7379

If you’re outside the UK you can call this number Monday to Friday (apart from bank holidays), 8.00 am to 8.00 pm, Saturday and Sunday, 9.30 am to 4.30 pm.

Telephone: +44 (0)203 080 0010

To get help online, use the EU Settlement Scheme contact form.

If you would like any more information on the EU Settlement Scheme or news about our English courses to apply for a UK visa, get in touch.

If you want to keep up to date with the latest news on living in the UK, sign up to our newsletter below.

Keep in touch with us